The moment I stepped foot off Howard University’s campus, it was like everyone that I hadn’t had contact with in 4+ years took a sudden interest in every small detail of my life. Yes, many people were just happy that they knew a proud graduate of the illustrious Howard University but many others were determined to bombard me with questions. I didn’t quite understand why they were concerned in the first place.
If there is a recent college in your life, please spare them by refraining from asking these questions that they get asked 50 million times.
1. So what’s next? What are you going to do with your degree?
Hang it in my diploma case probably in the living room.
2. It’s okay…most college students don’t have jobs in their fields or at all right out of college anyway.
So many questions here. What kind of conspiracy is this? Can I get a refund? Why is this normalized? Why do you feel telling me this at this particular moment would make me feel better about my life?
3. Anything about the economy being bad …we know
The economy has pretty much been screwed well before we have even entered college. I really think rather than telling us how bad the economy/ job market is, you should just say congratulations and happy trails or plug me in for job. Thanks.
4. Are you even looking for a job?
This is a particularly an annoying question when you’ve been sending resumes out all day, stalking people on LinkedIn and attending Networking events to try to get your job company. So the answer is yes, I’m not sitting on my ass doing nothing if that is what you’re asking me…
Tips on taking a bomb LinkedIn photo...click here
5. Something about another recent grad getting a cool ass job and making 6 figures straight out of college
Are you trying to make to feel worse or–let a sister know.
6. What happened to *insert the name some insignificant college boyfriend or friend that you haven’t associated with since sophomore year.*
Why are we bringing up the past?
7. Are you planning on going back to school? (for those who aren’t going straight to graduate school)
Wayment, didn’t I just graduate 5 minutes ago? Please allow me to figure out my life just a tad bit before I jump into another $100,000+ of debt to be confused and lost again. It may work for some but just not me. Cool?
While they may mean well, some things are better left unsaid.
What are some questions you’ve been asked as a recent grad that just outright drive you crazy?