You like your job and you’ve worked hard to get here. Yet, you dread coming into work every day. It shouldn’t be that way but your coworker is the absolute worst and no matter what you do, they make your life at work miserable.
You’re not the only one dealing with a terrible coworker, tons of people suffer the same fate. What’s more is that only 40% of employees are given basic conflict management classes and the other 60% are left to fend for themselves. However, there are many ways of dealing with that coworker that you may not have tried yet.
The only reason that this makes it into this post is that it can be an option when none other seems possible. You shouldn’t feel as though you need to leave your job just to escape one or more terrible coworkers but you also don’t want to be miserable every day. What’s worse is if you keep dealing with the torment then eventually you’re going to hate what you do altogether. It’s important to realize that quitting your job isn’t quitting your career, you’re just relocating.
Confront them nicely
If you haven’t tried confronting your coworker yet, it might be the missing link you were looking for. It’s important to be polite and civil during your confrontation for a few reasons. Reason one is that they might not even know they’re being a jerk and letting them politely know that they are belittling you can be a powerful action. Reason two is if they are being terrible on purpose, engaging them with a firm and confident action can be what it takes to shut them up.
Play hide and seek
Perhaps your confrontation didn’t work or you’re not willing to try it (although you really should) and your coworker is still terrible. The other option to try is to simply avoid that person as much as possible. If you sit close to them, ask to move your desk. If it’s a group of office water tank cliches, then bring a bottle of water to work from now on. Whatever you can do to just stay out of their way is recommended.
It can feel as though you’re in a twilight zone of childish behavior and grade school bullying but some people never grow up. It’s important to be the bigger person and be active about your responses.